Shi`i Islam - General Bibliography
Select General Bibliography and Miscellany with occasonal URLs. and PDf.
In progfress - under revision and updating.
Stephen Lambden UC Merced.
Last partially updated 08-02-2015.
- Religion and State in Iran, 1785-1906. The Role of the Ulama in the Qajar Period, Berkeley and Los Angeles, 1969.
Amir-Moezzi, Mohammad Ali.
- 1994. The Divine Guide in Early Shi‘ism: The Sources of Esotericism in Islam. Albany, NY: State University of New York Press, 1994.
- 2011. The Spirituality of Shi`i Islam: Beliefs and Practises. London: I.B. Tauris, 2011.
- 2016. The silent Qurʼan and the speaking Qurʼan : scriptural sources of islam between history and fervor. Mohammad Ali Amir-Moezzi; Etan Kohlberg; Ḥasan Anṣārī; Eric Ormsby. New York : Columbia University Press, 2016. "ReaderAcknowledgments Introduction1. Violence and Scripture in the Book of Sulaym ibn Qays2. Qur'anic Recensions and Political Tendencies: Al-Sayyari and His Book of Revelation and Falsification, by M. A. Amir-Moezzi and E. Kohlberg 3. The Necessity of Hermeneutics: On the Qur'anic Commentary of al-Hibari 4. The Emergence of Gnosis: A Monograph on Knowledge Compiled by al-Saffar al-Qummi5. Perfecting a Religion: Remarks on al-Kulayni and His Summa of Traditions, by M. A. Amir-Moezzi and H. Ansari ...".
Arjomand, Said Amir.
- The Shadow of God and the Hidden Imam. Chicago, IL: University of Chicago Press, 1984.
- (ed.) Authority and Political Culture in Shi‘ism. Albany, NY: SUNY Press, 1988.
- Redemptive Suffering in Islam. The Hague: Mouton, 1978.
- Mysticism and Dissent. New York: Syracuse University 1982.
Bill, James A. and John Alden Williams.
- Roman Catholics and Shi‘i Muslims: Prayer, Passion, and Politics. Chapel Hill, NC: University of North Carolina Press, 2003.
- Early Mahdism: Politics and Religion in the Formative Period of Islam. Leiden: E.J. Brill, 1985.
Browne, Edward. G. (d.1926).
A Literary History of Persia, 4 vols. London: 1902-1924; Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1951.
Brunner, Ranier and Werner Ende, eds.
- The Twelver Shia in Modern Times: Religious Culture and Political History. Leiden: E.J. Brill, 2001.
'Les usul al-fiqh Imamites a leur stade ancien (Xe et XIe siècles)', in Le Shī'isme I marnate (Paris, 1970), pp. 201-13
Chelkowski, Peter J., ed.
- Ta‘ziyah: Ritual and Drama in Iran. Washington Square, NY: New York University Press, 1979
- A Shi‘ite Anthology. London: Muhammadi Trust of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, 1980.
- Sacred Space and Holy War: The Politics, Culture and History of Shi‘ite Islam. London: I.B. Tauris, 2002.
- Cole, Juan R.I. and Nikki R. Keddie. Shi‘ism and Social Protest. New Haven, CT: Yale University Press, 1986.
The study of Shi'i Islam : history, theology and law. Farhad Daftary; Gurdofarid Miskinzoda; Institute of Ismaili Studies. London ; New York : I.B. Tauris, Publishers ; London : in association with the Institute of Ismaili Studies, New York, NY : Palgrave Macmillan. 2014.
Falah, Abdul-Jabar, ed.
Ayatollahs, Sufis, and Ideologues: State, Religion and Social Movements in Iraq. London: Saqi, 2002.
Fuller, Graham E. and Rend Rahim Francke.
- The Arab Shi‘a: The Forgotten Muslims. New York: Palgrave Macmillan, 2001.
- The Fatimids and their Traditions of Learning. London: I.B. Tauris and Co., 2001.
- Shiism. Edinburgh: Edinburgh University Press, 1992.
- Shi‘a Islam: From Religion to Revolution. Princeton, NJ: Markus Wiener, 1997.
Heern, Zackery M.
- 2015. The Emergence of Modern Shi'ism, Islamic Reform In Iraq and Iran. London: Oneworld, 2015.
Hollister, John N.
- The Shi‘a of India. London: Luzac & Co., 1953.
Jabar, Faleh A.
- The Shi‘ite Movement in Iraq. London: Saqi, 2003.
Jafri, S. Husain M.
- The Origins and Early Development of Shi‘a Islam. Oxford, UK: Oxford University Press, 2002.
Khumayni, Ayatu’llah Seyyid Ruhu’llah (Hamid Algar, trans. and ed.).
- Islam and Revolution: Writings and Declarations of Imam Khomeini. Berkeley, CA: Mizan Press, 1981.
Kramer, Martin S.,
- (ed.) Shi‘ism, Resistance, and Revolution. Boulder, CO: Westview Press, 1987.
- Shi‘i Scholars of Nineteenth-Century Iraq. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press, 2002.
The Development of Metaphysics in Persia. London: Luzac, 1908.
- 'The Basic Structure of Metaphysical Thinking in Islam." In Collected Papers on Islamic Philosophy and Mysticism, ed. M. Mohaqheqh and H. Landolt. Tehran: Imperial Iranian Academy of Philosophy, 1971.
- Introduction to Sharh-i manzumah, by Sabzawari, ed. M. Mohaghegh and T. Izutsu. Tehran: 1969.
- Metaphysical Structure of Sabzawari. New York: Caravan Books, 1977.
- The Origins and Early Development of Shi‘ite Islam. London: Longman. 1978.
- 1972. The attitude of the Imāmī-Shīʻīs to the Companions of the Prophet. Thesis/dissertation : Manuscript Archival Material View all formats and languages Publisher: 1971 [i.e. 1972]. W Cat.
`Some Shī'ī Views of the Antediluvian World’. Studia Islamica, 52 (1980): 41-66.
2003. Shi'ism. Formation of the classical Islamic world, v. 33. Burlington, VT : Ashgate, ©2003."This volume brings together 17 articles reflecting the wide range of scholarly interest in early Shi'ism. The studies have been selected because they represent contemporary scholarship, or are classic works with continuing significance. All major branches of Shi'ism are covered...
`1991. Belief and law in Imāmī Shīʻism. Aldershot, Hampshire, Great Britain : Variorum ; Brookfield, Vt., USA : Gower Pub. Co., ©1991. In Series: Collected studies, CS339. “This text considers the religious differences within the world of Islam and examines the evolution of the Shi'a tradition and western scholarship on the subject. It also considers key terms and concepts in Shi'a tradition, and legal and doctrinal thought. “
1992. A medieval Muslim scholar at work : Ibn Tawus and his library, In Series: Islamic philosophy, theology, and science, v. 12. Leiden ; New York : E. J. Brill, 1992. "Ibn Tawus (d. 664/1266) was a famous Shi'i scholar and bibliophile. This book portrays his intellectual world and working methods, and reconstructs, as far as possible, his extensive library, which included many works now lost. Kohlberg's monograph is an important contribution to Shi'i studies and to the history of Arabic literature"..
- `Some Imami-shii Views on Taqiyya ' in Journal of the American Oriental Society, Vol. 95, No. 3 (Jul. - Sep., 1975), pp. 395-402.
- 1997. Medieval muslim views on martyrdom. Amsterdam : Koninklijke Nederlandse Akademie van Wetenschappen, 1997. In Series: Mededeelingen der Koninklijke Nederlandsche Akademie van Wetenschappen., Afdeeling Letterkunde ;, n.r., dl. 60, no. 7.
- 2009. "Le shi'isme imamite" quarante ans après : hommage à Etan Kohlberg; Mohammad Ali Amir-Moezzi; Meir M Bar-Asher; Simon Hopkins; : [Turnhout] : Brepols, cop. 2009.
2009. Revelation and falsification : the Kitāb al-qirāʼāt of Aḥmad b. Muḥammad al-Sayyārī كولبرغ، أيتان (קולברג, איתן) معزي، محمد علي أمير. السياري، أحمد بن محمد،, ; Aḥmad ibn Muḥammad Sayyārī; Etan Kohlberg; Mohammad Ali Amir-Moezzi . Series: Texts and studies on the Qurʼān, v. 4. Leiden ; Boston : Brill, 2009. “For all Muslims the Qur'an is the word of God. Some Shi'is, however, believed that the generally accepted text of the Qur'an is corrupt. They asserted that redactors had altered or deleted all passages that supported the rights of Ali and his successors or that condemned his enemies. This work deals with variant readings of the Qur'an.” critical edition with an introduction and notes by Etan Kohlberg and Mohammad Ali Amir-Moezzi : "This work by a 3rd/9th century Shi'i scholar deals with variant readings of the Qur'an. Its most important part is the list of passages which were allegedly omitted or corrupted by the enemies of Ali and his house" (W. Cat.).
Kramer Martin S.
- 1987. Shiʻism, resistance, and revolution. Boulder, Colo. : Westview Press, 1987. This book is the final product of an international conference convened at Tel Aviv University in December 1984 x, 324 pp.
- "Walayah." In The Encyclopedia of Religion. Edited by Mircea Eliade, 15:316-23. 16 vols. New York: Macmillan, 1987.
- The Succession to Muhammad: A Study of the Early Caliphate. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. 1997.
- Shi‘i Thought from the South of Lebanon. Oxford, UK: Centre for Lebanese Studies, 1988.
Modarressi Tabataba'i, Hossein.
- 1984. An Introduction to Shi`i Law, a bibliographical study. London: Ithaca Press, 1984.
1993 Crisis and Consolidation in the Formative Period of Shi`ite Islam. Princeton, New Jersey: Darwin Press., 1993 (280pp.).
2003. Tradition and Survival: A Bibliographical Survey of Early Shi‘ite Literature, Vol.1. Oxford, UK: Oneworld, 2003.
2013. Law and tradition in classical Islamic thought : studies in honor of Professor Hossein Modarressi by Hossein Modarressi Tabataba'i; Michael Cook; Najam Iftikhar Haider; Intisar A Rabb; Asma Sayeed. New York, NY : Palgrave Macmillan, 2013.
1985 Introduction to Shi'i Islam: The History and Doctrines of Twelver Shi`Ism Yale University Press 1985, ISBN 0300035314 (Pbk).
2015. Shi'i Islam : a beginner's guide. Oxford: Oneworld Publications, 2016.
Moussavi, Ahmad Kazemi.
1996. Religious Authority in Shi‘ite Islam: From the Office of the Mufti to the Institution of Marja‘. Kuala Lumpur: Institute of Islamic Thought and Civilization.
al-Mufid, Muhammad ibn al-Nu’man.
Kitab al-Irshad, translated Howard, I. London: Balagha & Muhammadi Trust. 1981.
Newman, Andrew J.
- The Formative Period of Twelver Shi‘ism: Hadith as Discourse Between Qum and Baghdad. Richmond: Curzon Press, 2001.
- The Shi‘is of Iraq. Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press, 2003.
Nasr, Seyyed Hossein, Hamid Dabashi and Seyyed Vali Reza Nasr, eds.
- Expectation of the Millennium: Shi‘ism in History. Albany, NY: State University of New York Press, 1989.
- +Hamid Dabashi and Seyyed Vali Reza Nasr, eds.
- Shi‘ism: Doctrines, Thought and Spirituality. Albany, NY: State University of New York Press, 1988.
The Shiites: Ritual and Popular Piety in a Muslim Community. New York: Palgrave, 1993
Rizvi, Saiyid Athar `Abbas.
A Soao-Intellectual History of the Isna 'Ashari Shi'i in India, 2 vols. Australia: Ma'rifat Pub. House, 1986.
Sabzawari, Hajji Mulla Hadi ( )
Asrar al-hikam. Tehran: Tehran University Press.
Diwan-i ash'ār. Isfahan: Saqafi Press, 1959.
Sharh-i al-manzùmah. Naşiri Edition. Tehran: Tehran University Press.
Sachedina, Abdulaziz. 1988.
The Just Ruler in Shi‘ite Islam: The Comprehensive Authority of the Jurist in Imamite Jurisprudence. New York: Oxford University Press. 1998.
- Islamic Messianism: The Idea of the Mahdi in Twelver Shi‘ism. Albany, NY: State University of New York Press, 1981.
- 1991. The theology of al-ʻAllāma al-Hillī (d. 726/1325). Berlin : K. Schwarz, 1991. [Islamkundliche Untersuchungen, Bd. 152. Dissertation: Ph. D. University of Oxford, Oxford, England 1990].
- 1997. A Muʻtazilite creed of Az-Zamaḫšarî (d. 538/1144) : (al-Minhâǧ fî uṣûl ad-dîn) by Maḥmūd ibn ʻUmar Zamakhsharī; Sabine Schmidtke. Stuttgart : Deutsche Morgenländische Gesellschaft : Kommissionsverlag F. Steiner, 1997.
- 2014. The Oxford handbook of islamic theology. Oxford: Oxford Univ. Press, 2014. In Series: Oxford handbooks online : Religion.
Schmidtke, Sabine; Wilferd Madelung.
2006. Rational theology in interfaith communication : Abu l-Husayn al-Basri's Mu'tazili theology among the Karaites in the Fatimid Age. Author: Wilferd Madelung; Sabine Schmidtke. Publisher: Leiden ; Boston : Brill, 2006. Series: Jerusalem studies in religion and culture, v. 5. "The present study presents evidence that Abu l-Husayn's theology was immediately registered and controversially debated in the Karaite community under the Fatimid caliphate. The study is based on source material preserved in Genizahs and now dispersed in libraries around the world.”
Tabataba’i, ‘Allamah Sayyid Muhammad Husain (Seyyed Hoseyn Nasr, trans. and ed.).
- Shi‘ite Islam. London: George Allen & Unwin, 1975.
Islamic Thought and the Sciences: Mirāth-i Maktub (Written Heritage Research Centre) Publications.
Ibn-e Kalbali Tabrizi, Muhammad Zaman (11th Cent. AH.)
- Fara'id AL-Fava'id (Persian), Edited by: Rasoul Ja'fariyan Tehran: 1994 HB (362 pp).
(A study of schools and mosques in the field of Islamic culture and civilization till author's era)
Annonymous author (6th century A.M.)
- Nuzhat al-Zahid, (Persian, Arabic) Ed. Ali Owjabi Tehran: 1997 HBk (363 pp) ISBN: 964-5568-39-0
(Prayers of the infallible Imams + Persian explanation in the 6th century)