Bibliography II: The Bab and the Babi Religion -Select Western Sources
Bibliography II: The Bab and the Babi Religion -Select Western Sources.
Stephen N. Lambden UCMerced.
In progress 22-04-2015.
Browne, Edward Granville (1862-1926) (UK).
- ed. Ḥājī Mīrzā Jānī Kashani + (attrib.) Ketāb-i nuqṭat al-kāf, ed. E. G. Browne, Kitāb-i Nuqṭatu’l-Kāf , Leyden and London, 1910.
Ivanov, M. S. ( ).
- Babidskie vosstaniya v Irane (1848-1852), Moscow, 1939, pp. 80-85, 136-37
- Reviewed by V. Minorsky in BSOAS 11, 1946, pp. 878-80.
Lambden, Stephen (UK+USA)
- An Episode in the Childhood of Sayyid `Ali Muhammad, the Bab.
Lawson, B. Todd. (Canada)
- "Orthodoxy and Heterodoxy in Twelver Shi'ism: Ahmad al-Ahsa'l Fayd Kashani (the Risalat al-'Ilmiyya)," in Religion and Society in Qajar Iran ed, Robert Gleave, London & New York: RoutledgeCurzon, 2005, pp. 127-54.
- `Ahmad al-Ahsa'i on Fayḍ Kashani (the Risalat `Ilmiyya)' Ch.7 (pp. 137-154) in Robert Gleave ed. Religion and Society in Qajar Iran, 2005.
MacEoin, Denis, M. (UK)
- From Shaykhism to Babism: A Study in Charismatic Renewal in Shí'i Islam. Ph.D. Thesis Cambridge, 1979. (Unpublished), pp.vii+230+bib. pp. 230-240.
A doctoral thesis submitted by MacEoin (Faculty of Oriental Studies King's College, University of Cambridge), in July 1979. This thesis contains (after the Preface, Acknowledgements, List of Abbreviations and Introduction) six chapters: (1) The Religious Background, 6-49 (2) Shaykh Aḥmad al-Aḥsā'ī, 50-94 (3) Sayyid Kāẓim Rashtī, 96-124 (4) From Shaykhism to Babism, 126-155 (5) Some Aspects of Early Babi Doctrine, 156-183 and (6)The Babi Da`wa among the Shaykhis and the Break with Shaykhism, 185-229.
- "Early Shaykhí Reactions to the Báb and His Claims," in Moojan Momen (ed.), Studies in Bábí and Bahá'í History, (Los Angeles: Kalimat Press, 1982) volume 1 pp. 1-47.
MacEoin: Shaykhi and related articles in EI2 & EIr.
- 'al-Aḥsā'ī, Shaykh Aḥmad b. Zayn al-Dīn'. in Enc. Iranica vol. 1 : 674-679.
- `Balasari' Enc. Iranica vol. 3 pp. 583-585.
- Cosmology vii - In Shaykhism', Enc. Iranica Vol. 6 : 326-328.
- 'Rashtī, Sayyid Kāẓim ' EI2 vol. VIII (Leiden: Brill, 1995) pp. 450-451.
- 'Shaykhiyya' EI2 vol. IX (Leiden: Brill, 1997) pp. 403-405.
- Baraghānī, Molla Mohammad Taqī' EI2 vol. III (Leiden: Brill, 1995), 740.
- `Shaykhism' in L.P. Elwell-Sutton (ed), A Bibliographical Guide to Iran. Brighton & Totowa, 1983, pp. ADD
- "Changes in Charismatic Authority in Qajar Shi ism", in l\. Bosworth and C. Hillenbrand (edd.), Qajar Iran: Political, Social and Cultural Change, Edinburgh, EUP, 1983, pp. 148-76.
- `Orthodoxy and Heterodoxy in Nineteenth-Century Shi`ism: The Cases of Shaykhism and Babism' in JAOS 110/ No.2 April-June, 1990, pp. 323-329. The synoptic heading preceding the article reads as follows: `Discussions of orthodoxy and heterodoxy presuppose a dichotomy of major proportions. In reality, things are never so simple: relations between opposing viewpoints are characterized by dynamism rather than static confrontation. In a sense, heterodox movements may often be no more than extreme expressions of orthodox values. In the case of Islam, the most extreme expression of an "orthodox" verses "heterodox" antagonism is provided by the emergence of Baha'ism as a distinct religion from an originally orthodox Shi`i matrix. An examination of the antecedents of Baha'ism in the nineteenth century -- Shaykhism and Bābism-- shows the way in which heterodoxy was, in a sense, a development of orthodox belief, rather then an aberration.' (p.323).
- `Changes in charasmatic Authority in Qajar Shi`ism' in Qajar Iran: Political, Social and Cultural Change, 1800-1925. Ed. E. Bosworth and C. Hillenbrand (Edinburgh: ADD, 1983), pp.148-176.
- 'Hierarchy, Authority and Eschatology in Early Babi Thought', in P. Smith (ed.), In Iran, Los Angeles, Kalimat Press, 1986, pp. 95-155.
- The Sources for Early Babi Doctrine and History. Leiden: E. J. Brill, 1992.
- Ritual in Babism and Baha'ism, Pembroke Papers, Pembroke College, Cambridge) published I. B. Tauris, London, 1994.
- "The Trial of the Bāb: Shi'ite orthodoxy confronts its mirror image", in Carole Hillenbrand (ed.) Studies in Honour of Clifford Edmund Bosworth 2 The Sultan'» Turret (Brill, 2000), pp. 272-317
- "The Babi Concept of Holy War", Religion, 12 (1982): 93-129.
- "Some Baha'i and Shaykhi Interpretations of 'The mystery of reversal' ", Baha'i Studies Bulletin 1:1 (1982), pp. 11-23.
- "From Babism to Baha'ism: problems of militancy, quietism and conflation in the construction of a religion", Religion 13 (1983): 219-255.
- The Messiah of Shiraz, Studies in Early and Middle Babism. Leiden-Boston: Brill, 2009. Essentisl for the study of Shaykhism and Babism this weighty tome includes most of MacEoin's writings relating to Shaykhism including his 1979 Ph.D thesis with some updating and most of his EI2 and EIr. articles.
- "The Fate of Mullā 'Alî Bastāmī", Baha'i Studies Bulletin, 2:1 (1983), 77.
- "The Identity of the Bāb's "Lawh-i hurufat'", Baha'i Studies Bulletin, 2:1 (1983), 78-79.
- Aspects of Militancy and Quietism in Shi'i Islam", British Society for Middle East Studies Bulletin, 11:1 (1984), 18-27.
- "Nineteenth-Century Babi Talismans", Studia Iranica 14:1 (1985), 77-98.
- "Divisions and Authority Claims in the Babi Community, 1850-1866", Studia Iranica, 18 (1989): 93-129.
- "Shaikh Ahmad ibn Zayn al-Din Ahsā'ī", EIr X ADD.
- "Bāb, Sayyed 'Alî Mohammad Shīrāzī", EIr X ADD,
- "Babism: і The Bābī Movement', EIr X ADD..
- "Babism: ii Bābī Executions and Uprisings', EIr X ADD..
- "Azali Babism", EIr X ADD..
- "Bayan", EIr X ADD..
- "Baha'i and Bābī Schisms', EIr X ADD..
- "Bālāsarī", EIr X ADD..
- "Shaykhi Cosmology", EIr X ADD..
- "Shaykhism", EI2 X: ADD., 1996, Leiden, Hrill, pp. 403-5.
- "Kurrat al-'Ayn" (with L. P. Elwell Sutton), EI2 X: ADD..
- "Abd al-Kczā Khan Ebrāhmii", EIr X ADD..
- "Abū'l-Qāsem Khān Ebrāhīmī', EIr X ADD..
- "Mollā 'All Bestāmī", EIr X ADD..
- "Bāb" (general term), EIr X ADD..
- "Badf Calendar", EIr X ADD..
- "Mollā Mohammad 'Alî Qoddus Bārforūshī", EIr X ADD..
- "Mollā Mohammad Hosayn Boshru'i". EIr X ADD..
- "Mollā Mohammad Taqi Baraghānī", EIr X ADD..
- "Mazhar", EI2 X: ADD..
- "Shaykh Ahmad al-Ahsā'ī", in J.R. Hinnells (ed.) Who's Who of Religions, Mac- Millan, London, 1991.
- "Ali Muhammad Shirazi the Bāb', in J.R. Hinnells (ed.) Who's Who of Religions, MacMillan, London, 1991. .
- "Qurrat al-'Ayn", in J.R. Hinnells (ed.) Who's Who of Religions, MacMillan, London, 1991.
- "Şubh-i Azal", in J.R. Hinnells (ed.) Who's Who of Religions, MacMillan, London, 1991.
- "Muhammad Husayn Bushrū'ī", in EI2 X: ADD..
- "Muhammad 'Alī Bārfurūshī", in EI2 X: ADD..
- "Muhammad 'Ali Zanjānī", in EI2 X: ADD..
- "Nuktat al-kaf", in EI2 X: ADD..
- "Sābikūn", in EI2 X: ADD..
- "Qurrat al-'Ayn", in The Encyclopaedia of Censorship (2001).
- "Babis", in Jack Goldstone (ed.), The Encyclopedia of Political Revolutions, Washington D.C., 1998.
- "Questions of Sayyid Muhammad Shīrāzī, Uncle of the Bāb."Translations of Shaykhi, Babi and Baha'i Texts vol. 1, no. 2 (June, 1997). Available online at: www.h-net .org/~bahai/trans/iqanques.htm.
- "The Persian Bayan of Sayyid 'Alî Muhammad Shīrāzī, the Bāb." [A partial transla tion.] Translations of Shaykhi, Babi and Baha'i Texts vol. 1, no. 4 (July, 1997). Available online at: www.h-net.org/~bahai/trans/bayan/bayan.htm.
Nicolas, A.-L.-M. ( ).
- Seyyed Ali Mohammed dit le Bāb, Paris, 1905.
Momen, Moojan (UK)
- BADAŠT, small village of about 1,000 inhabitants, site of a conference convened on the instructions of the Bāb in 1848. in
- EIr. http://www.iranicaonline.org/articles/badast-small-village