`Abd al-Baha', `Abbas Effendi (b. Tehran, Persia,1844 d. Acre Palestine-1921)
Some Bibliographical Notes, Studies and Miscellany.
Stephen Lambden, UCMerced. In progress 1980s-2017.
Last updated 12-12-2016.
Select Books, Articles and Miscellany containing biographical materials.
Alessandro Bausani (d. 19XX) + Denis. MacEoin,
- art. `ʿABD-AL-BAHĀʾ' in Encyclopedia Iranica, Originally Published: December 15, 1982:
Select Biographical and relted Writings - Chronologically Arranged.
I shall list here in Persian, English and other languages a laregly chronological organized list of books and other miscellaneous materials containg biographical data pertaining to the life of `Abd al-Baha'.
1. Written During the Lifetime of `Abd al-Baha' (1844-1921).
The First Western Visits and Pilgrimages 1898-1910.
Phoebe Elizabeth Apperson Hearst (b. 1842 – d. April 13, 1919). The first western pilgrimage to visit `Abd al-Baha' in ʿAkkā (Acre) on 10 December 1898
Kathryn Jewett Hogenson. 2010.
- Lighting the Western sky : the Hearst pilgrimage and the establishment of the Bahá'í faith in the West / Kathryn Jewett Hogenson. Oxford : George Ronald, 2010.
Afrūkhtah, Dr. Yūnis Khan ( ), 19XX-19XX. Pub. 19
- Khātirāt-i nuh sāla-yi ʿAkkāʾ. Tehran:
- Memoirs of Nine Years in ʿAkkāʾ [Acre, Palestine].
Phelps, Myron H ( d. Bombay, 1916). Life and Teachings of Abbas Effendi. 1903, 1904...
Myron Phelps was born in Lewiston, Fulton County, Illinois, on 2 April 1856 and died in Bombay, India on 29 December 1916. He was a New York lawyer and a writer on Middle Eastern and Asian religions and a Buddhist sympathizer.
Myron H Phelps; ʻAbd-al-Bahā'.
- 1903. Life and Teachings of Abbas Effendi: a study of the religion of the Babis ... With an introduction by E. G. Browne. Myron H. Phelps. New York ; London : G. P. Putnam's Sons, 1903.
- 1904. Life and teachings of Abbas Effendi : a study of the religion of the Babis, or Beha'is founded by the Persian Bab and by his successors, Beha Ullah and Abbas Effendi. New York London : Putnam's Sons, 1904. With an introd. by Edward Granville Browne, Prof. Cambridge. xliii, 259 pp.
- 1912. 2nd. rev. ed. Life and Teachings of Abbas Effendi ... Second, revised, edition. Myron H. Phelps. New York ; London : G. P. Putnam's Sons, 1912.
- 1912, Life and Teachings of Abbas Effendi, New York & London: G.P. Putnam's Sons, 1903, 1904, 1912. Several modern reprints from 2007-2012.
- 1985. Rev. Baha'i ed. The Master in ‘Akká, including the recollections of the Greatest Holy Leaf, revised and annotated by Marzieh Gail, Los Angeles: Kalimát, 1985. ISBN 0933770499. ISBN 978-0933770492.
Early Pilgrimage Encounters and Notes - Pre-1910.
- An early pilgrimage, etc. (Revised edition.-Reprinted.). May Bolles Maxwell. London : George Ronald, 1969.
- From Abdul Baha to a lady who visited Acre in February, 1906. Translated by his daughter Monever Khanum from the original Persian. Edinburgh : T. & A. Constable, c.1907. Copy in Brit.Lib.
Abdul Baha in Egypt. Amad Sohrab. 1910> 1st ed. 1929.
- Abdul Baha in Egypt. [With a portrait.] New York : J. H. Sears & Co., 1929.
- 'Abdu'l-Baha's journey west : the course of human solidarity / edited by Negar Mottahedeh. Basingstoke : Palgrave Macmillan, 2013.
Abdul Baha in London: Addresses, & notes of conversations, 1912.
- Abdul Baha in London. Addresses, and notes of conversations. With an introduction by Eric Hammond. East Sheen : Unity Press, 1912. xiv+134 pp. Rep. London: Baha'i Publishing Trust, 1982.
- ʿAbduʾl-Bahá in London : addresses and notes of conversations.ʿAbduʾl-Bahá, 1844-1921.London : Baháʾí Publishing, 1982.
Zarqānī, Mīrzā Maḥmūd ( ). 1914. 1921.
- KItāb-I badāyaʿ al-āthār, 2 vols. Bombay : 1914, 1921).
The Diary of Mírzá Maḥmúd-i Zarqání.
- Maḥmúd's diary : the diary of Mírzá Maḥmúd-i-Zarqání, chronicling 'Abdu'l-Bahá's journey to America / translated by Mohi Sobhani with the assistance of Shirley Macias. Maḥmūd Zarqānī Oxford : George Ronald, 1998.
- ʿAbduʾl-Bahá in America : Agnes Parsons' diary, April 11, 1912-November 11, 1912, supplemented with episodes from Maḥmúd's diary / annotated and edited by Richard Hollinger ; with a foreword by Sandra Hutchinson. Agnes S. Parsons, 1861-1933. Los Angeles : Kalimát, 1996.
Star of the West, ed. Howard McNutt. 1910-1924.
Numerous letters or scriptural Tablets and talks as well as biographical notices pertaining to ʿAbd-al-Bahāʾ can be found in the many volumes of Star of the West. The Bahaʾi Magazine, vols. 1-14 (1910-24) which was reprinted in 1978 by George Ronald Publshers (Oxford), in 8 vols.
- Rep. 1978.
Pilgrimage and other Western Encounters 1910-1921.
Rúḥá Aṣdaq + Lameah Khodadoost. January 1914.
- One life, one memory : in the presence of 'Abdu'l-Bahá, Haifa, January 1914 / by Rúḥá Aṣdaq with the assistance of Lameah Khodadoost ; translated by Shahbaz Fatheazam. Rūḥā Aṣdaq, -1982. Oxford : George Ronald, 1999.
Felicia Rudolphina Scratcherd ( ).
- 1914. A Wise Man from the East ... Abdul Baha. (Reprinted from the "International Psychic Gazette."). Felicia Rudolphina Scratcherd. London : J. Lewis & Co., 
Works written during the period of the Guardianship of Shoghi Effendi (d. 1957).
Ruth White - Abdul Baha and the Promised Age. 1927.
Ruth White was ....
- Abdul Baha and the Promised Age. [With an appendix.] Ruth WHITE, of the Bahai Movement.
pp. xv. 224. 22. [The Author]: New York, 1927.
Ahmad Sohrab-Julie Chanler, 1933.
- Living pictures in the great drama of the 19th century / by Mirza Ahmad Sohrab and Julie Chanler. Mirza Ahmad Sohrab, 1891- New York : New History Foundation, 1933.
The Drama of the Kingdom. 1933.
- 1933. The Drama of the Kingdom. A pageant play, the plan for which was given by Abdul Baha Abbas, etc. Basil Hall, Mrs., Bahai. London : Weardale Press, 1933. viii. 85 pp.
- The Drama of the Kingdom. A pageant play, the plan for which was given by Abdul Baha Abbas, etc.
Howard Colby Ives, Portals to Freedom.1937.
- Portals to Freedom. [On 'Abd al-Bahā's visit to America in 1912. With plates, including portraits.] Howard Colby Ives. Northampton : George Ronald, 1943.
- London 1962.
Sohrab, Ahmad. 1937.
- I heard him say. New York : New History Found, 1937. Words attributed to Abdul Baha as recorded by his one-time Secretary, Mirza Ahmad Sohrab. 126pp.
Moʾayyad, Dr. Ḥabīb Moʾayyad ( ). 1962.
- Khātirāt-i Ḥabīb, 2 vols. Tehran, 1962, 1973.
Works written during the period 1957-2000.
1971 - Balyuzi, Hasan ( 1926-1989).
- 'Abdu'l-Bahá. The centre of the Covenant of Bahá'u'lláh. H. M. Balyuzi.London : George Ronald, 1971.
- `Abdu'l-Baha. London: George Ronald. 1971
Faydī, Muḥammad ʿAlī.
- 1972 Ḥayāt-i ḥadrat-i ʿAbd-al-Bahāʾ. Tehran: MMMA., 1972.
ʿAbduʾl-Bahá, the master : a compilation from the writings of George Townshend / with a foreword and annotations by David Hofman. George Townshend, 1876-1957. Oxford : Ronald, c.1987.
Stories about 'Abdu' l-Bahá. 1982
- Stories about 'Abdu' l-Bahá. ed. G. Faizi from a manuscript provided by the National Spiritual Assembly of the Bahá' ís of India. New Delhi : Bahá'í Pub. Trust, 1982.
The seven candles of unity. Anjam Khursheed. 1991.
- The seven candles of unity. Anjam Khursheed. Baháʾí Publishing Trust, 1991.
The servant, the general and Armageddon. 1998.
- The servant, the general and Armageddon / by Roderic Maude and Derwent Maude. Roderic Maude. Oxford : George Ronald, 1998.
Works written during the period Twenty-first century -2000>
2007. The Most Mighty Branch : stories from the life of ʿAbduʾl-Bahá / by Hitjo Garst ; translated by Olive McKinley ; [illustrations by Anja Shanmugampillai]. Hitjo Garst. Oxford : George Ronald, 2007.
ʻAbduʼl-Bahá's journey West : the course of human solidarity. 2013.
- ʻAbduʼl-Bahá's journey West : the course of human solidarity. ed. Negar Mottahedeh. New York, NY : Palgrave Macmillan, 2013. "This edited volume of specially commissioned essays marking the centenary of 'Abdu'l-Bahá's journey to the West documents the uniqueness of 'Abdu'l-Bahá's vision of human solidarity and peace in the context of twentieth century modernity and show the moral impact of his principled positions on the emergent Civil Rights movement in America." xii, 196 pp. Contents : 1. Introduction; Negar Mottahedeh - 2. Laura Dreyfus-Barney and 'Abdul-Bahá's Visit to the West; Mona Khademi - 3. An Analysis of 'Abdul-Bahá's Visit to North America in 1912; Robert H. Stockman - 4. 'Abdul-Bahá's Critique of Nationalist Amnesia; Nader Saiedi - 5. A Troubled Modernity: W.E.B Du Bois, 'The Black Church, ' and the Problem of Causality; Guy Emerson Mount - 6. 'Abdul-Bahá's 1912 Howard University Speech: A Civil War Myth for Interracial Emancipation; Christopher Buck - 7. Orientals Meeting in the West: Foes Become Friends; Mina Yazdani."