The al-ism al-a`zam, the Mightiest Name of God in Qisas al-anbiya and associated Tafsir and other Abrahamic- Islamic literatures.
Ante-diluvian Prophets and the Mightirst Name of God.
ADAM AND THE AL-ISM AL-A`ZAM (MIGHTIEST NAME).
Abu `Ali al-Bal`ami (d. 363/974)
In his re-creation of the Tarikh al-rusul wa'l-muluk of Muhammad ibn Jarir al-Tabari (d. 310/923), Abu `Ali al-Bal`ami (d. 363/974) pictures the Persian first man Gayomart as wielding a club and sling for the destruction of demons, the sling inscribed with the `Greatest Name' of God (nam-i bartarin). (Bal`ami, Roshan ed., 1:78; Bahar and Gonabadi ed, p. 76; see Subtelny, 2013: 37),
Balaam = Ar. Balam or Balām
Balaam Numbers 22-24 and in later Abrahamic and other sources.
Fred Leemhuis, `Ba`lam in Early Koranic Commentaries'. in George H. van Kooten, Jacques van Ruiten, The Prestige of the Pagan Prophet Balaam in Judaism, Early Christianity and Islam (Themes in Biblical Narrative 11). Brill Academic Pub/. 2008. pp. 303-308.
Sūrat al-A`rāf 7:175–176
"And recite to them the tidings of him to whom We gave Our signs, but he rejected them, and Satan made him to follow after him, and he became one of the deluded. And had We willed, We would have raised him up thereby; but he inclined towards the earth and followed his tendency".
Balaam and the al-ism al-a`zam , the Mightiest Name of God.
Moses and the al-ism al-a`zam , the Mightiest Name of God.
Baruch and the al-ism al-a`zam , the Mightiest Name of God.
Jesus and the al-ism al-a`zam , the Mightiest Name of God.
Muhammad and the al-ism al-a`zam , the Mightiest Name of God.
The Shi`i Imams and other initiates of the al-ism al-a`zam, the Mightiest Name of God.
Muhammad ibn `Umar, Abū al-Su`ud Muhammad ibn Muhammad Fakhr al-Dīn (d. 606/1209 )
G. C. Anawati, 'Fakhr al-Dīn al-Rāzī' EI2 vol. 2:751-5
تفسير مفاتيح الغيب ، التفسير الكبير
- Mafātīḥ al-Ghayb al-mushtahir bi'l-Tafsīr al-kabīr.
- al-Tafsīr al-kablr (Mafātīh al-ghayb). 32 vols. Beirut: Dār al-fī kr, 1981.
- al-Tafsīr al-kabir (The Extensive Commentary), Beirut: Dār al-Kutub al-`Ilmiyya,, 32 vols in 16. XXXX/1990,
- al-Tafsīr al-kabir (The Extensive Commentary), (3rd printing) Beirut: Dār al-Ihya al-Turath al-`Arabi, 32 vols in 16. n.d. *
- Tafsīr-i kabir-i Mafātīḥ al-Ghayb, Persian trans. `Ali Asghar Ḥalabi, Tehran : Intishārāt-i Aṣāṭīr , 1371/XXX. / vol. 4 1378/ 1999.*
See especially Fakr al-Dīn al-Razi's
Lawāmi` al-bayinnāt fī asmā' Allāh wa'l-ṣifāt (The Perspicuous Brilliances regarding the Names of God and the Attributes"). This work contains a section on the ism Allāh al-a`ẓam
- Sirr al-maktum fī mukhaṭabāt al-nujum ("The Sealed Mystery about the addressers of the Stars"), a work about Talismans and astral magic incuding reference to the 7 sigla constituting the al-ism al-a`zam. or Mightiest Name of God.