Portrait from Bamdad vol. 6:209.
Select Biographical and Bibliographical Notes
Stephen Lambden UC Merced
In progress - last updated 4-5-2019.
Hajji Mirza Muhammad Bāqir ibn Muḥammad Jaʻfar Bihārī Hamadānī son of Muhammad Sadiq [Isfahani] Hamadani (b. Quhi [near Isfahan] 1239/1823-4, d. Jandaq 1319/1901 [buried Mashhad]) and his writings.
Muhammad Baqir with assocites and devotees (Bamdad 6:210).
According to the biographical history of Mehdi Bamdad, Muhammad Baqir was a prolific Shi`i- Shaykhi writer (Bamdad, Rijal VI: 211). A few of his numerous compositions have been printed (See ibid PDf. below). Hajji Mirza Muhammad Baqir Hamadani became the leader of the Hamadani branch of Kirmani Shaykhism when under the headship of Karim Khan Kirmani. On the death of Karim Khan in c. 1871, he opposed the leadership of his (younger son) Muhammad Khan Kirmani (d. 1324/1906) whom his father had appointed his successor in his will. He supported the leadership position of Karim Khan's eldest son Muhammad Karim Kirmani though most Kirmani Shaykhis accepted his younger brother Muhammad Khan Kirmani as the legitimate successor. The followers of Muhammad Baqir Hamadani were known as Baqiris in contrast to followers of Muhammad Khan Kirmani known as Natiqis or (pl.) Nawatiq. Mainstream Kirmani Shaykhism was thus split in that Muhammad Baqir Hamadani, opposed this hereditory succession in favour of a successor to Karim Khan Kirmani being the most learned Shaykhi person of the `ulama' class (see MacEoin, Messiah, 152 fn. 69).
Mehdi Bamdad, Rijal, VI: 209-211. Bamdad.pdf.
Select Alphabetical Bibliography for Muhammad Bāqir ibn Muḥammad Jaʻfar Hamadānī (1239-1319 AH =1823/4-1901 CE.
- Amāniyya... Tehran: XXX, 1366/ 1946. 157, 35 pp. 23 cm. In Persian. Copy in Princeton University and one other USA Library (so W.Cat.).
Asrār al-shahādat (The Mysteries of the Testimony/Martyrdom).
- Asrār al-shahādat. Iṣfahān : Gulbahār, 1348/ 1929. Persian. 295pp, Lithograph. Copy in Harvard Univ. Library.
Durrah-yi Najafiyyah ... (Najafite Pearls). Persian, 2 vols in 1.
Durrah-yi Najafiyyah ... Tehran: XXX, 1301/1884.
Apparently in the HathiTrust Digital Library. Copy in five USA Univ. Libraries (W-Cat.)
Jihād-i akbar (The Greater Jihad [The Perfection of the Human Self]).
- Jihād-i akbar. Naql az jild-i duvvum kitāb-i... Jihād-i akbar. Naql az jild-i duvvum kitāb-i Kifāyat al-masāʼil. Tehran, 1363/1944. 70pp.
Kitāb-i kullīyāt کتاب کليات در علم حکمت الهى (The Comprehensive Book on the Knowledge of Divine Wisdom). Arabic. Introd. in Persian.
- Kitāb-i kullīyāt-i dar ʻilm-i ḥikmat-i ilāhī by Muḥammad Bāqir ibn Muḥammad Jaʻfar Hamadānī. ?? 1901-2.
- Kitāb-i kullīyāt-i dar ʻilm-i ḥikmat-i ilāhī . Publisher: [Iran] : [publisher not identified], [197-?]
- = "Tuḥfat al-Najafīyah": p. 1-16 (2nd group).Description:84, 16 pages ; 24 cm Other Titles:
Kullīyāt-i dar ʻilm-i ḥikmat-i ilāhī / Dar ʻilm-i ḥikmat-i ilāhī / ʻIlm-i ḥikmat-i ilāhī/ Tuḥfat al-Najafīyah (so W. Cat.).
Kitāb-i Mīzān (The Book of the Balance).
Opening and final pages from the 1287/1871 Lithograph.
- Kitāb-i Mīzān. Tehran : XXX, 1287/1871. [Incomplete printing?] 17th Dhu'l-Qada = Feb. 8th 1871. 245pp. PDf. Available at:
- Kitāb-i Mīzān. Tehran: Chāpkhāneh-yi Shirkat-i ṭabʻ-i kitāb, 1323/1944-5. pp.160. In Persian.
Kitāb-i mustaṭāb-i Ijtināb ...
- Kitāb-i mustaṭāb-i Ijtināb; Risālah. Tehran : [publisher not identified], 1308/1891.
- Hathi Trust - Full view :
- Opens (pp. 1-8) with an important Ijaza (Religious authorization) for Shaykh Ahmad... :