THE TWO MAJLISIS
Shaykh Muhammad Taqī Majiisī (d. 1070/1659) and his son
Muhammad-Bāqir Majiisī (d. 1110-1/1699-1700).
Being Updated from the 2007-8 version.
Stephen Lambden UC Merced.
Majiisī, Shaykh Muhammad-Taqī (d. 1070/1659). the Elder Majiisī
- Treatise against al-Qummi's anti-Sufi tract,
- Rawdat al-muttaqin fi sharh Man la yahduruhu al-faqih. 14 vols. Qumm: Bunyad-i Farhang-i Islami-i Hajj Muhammad Husayn Kushanpur, 1393/1973.
Majiisī, Muhammad-Bāqir b. Muhammad-Taqī Majiisï (d. 1111/1699-1700).
- Rijal al-Majiisī. ed. `Abd-Allah al-Sabzali al-Hajj. Introd. Muhammad Husayn al-Husayni al-Jalali, Beirut: Mu`assasat al-A'lami, 1415/1995.(iv+426+2pp.). *
Biḥār al-anwār (Oceans of Lights).
See Brockelmann, GAL, S. II: 573; A`yān al-Shi`a , XLIV: 96-101; Kohlberg EIr. art `Behar al-Anwar' (see below).
The first complete edition, dedicated to Nāṣir-al-Dīn Shah and to his son and successor Mozáaffar-al-Dīn, was lithographed in Tehran and Tabrīz between 1303/1885 and 1315/1897-98. It was edited mainly by Mīrzā Moháammad-K¨alīl b. (Mohammad) Ḥosayn Musāwī Esáfahānī (d. 1315/1897-98) and was published by a wealthy merchant, Ḥājj Mohammad-Ḥasan Kompānī Esáfahānī known as Amīn-e Dār al-Z˜arb, and later, upon his withdrawal in 1314/1896, by his son Ḥājj Mohammad-Ḥosayn..." (Kohlberg EIr, ).
- Biḥār al-anwār 1st ed. 25 vols. Mīrzā Muhammad-Khalīl b. [Muhammad) Ḥusayn Musāwī Isfahānī (d. 1315/1897-98. )Tehran and Tabriz: 1303-1315 AH = 1885-1898 CE.
- Biḥār al-anwār 1st ed. Tehran 25 vols. Tehran: 1376-1394 AH= 1956-1974. "The 2nd new edition of the Bihar was first published in Tehran between 1376/1956 and 1394/1974 being later reprinted in Beirut with slight changes. Though this is not a critical edition, it is based on several manuscripts and lithographs and is considerably easier to use than its predecessor." (Kohlberg EIr.).
- Bihār al-anwār, 110 vols. Tehran: Dar al-Kutub al-Islamīyah, 1956-72. *
- Biḥār al-anwār. Tehran. 2nd rev. ed. (= Bihar 2) 110 vols. Beirut: Dār al‑Iḥyā al‑Turāth al‑`Arabī, 1376‑94/1956‑74.
- Biḥār al-anwār 2nd rev. ed = Bihar 2 110 vols. Beirut: Dār al-Iḥyā al-Turāth al-`Arabī, 1403/1983. *
`Abbās ibn Muhammad-Ridā Qumī (d. 1359/1940).
- Safīnat al-bihār wa madīnat al-ḥikam wa'l-āt¯ār .correct this. An index to the Bihar al-anwar including some traditions not found therein.
`Alī ibn Muhammad ibn Ismā'īl Xāhruḍī. correct this.
- Mustadrak (Supplement) to the above Safīna of al-Qummi.
Mirat al-`uqūl fi sharh akhbar al-Rasul ( ).
+ Sayyid Murtaḍāal-`Askarī (XXX/XXX).2 vol. introduction to the 26 vol. edition of Majlisi's Commentary:
- Muqaddimah Mir`āt al-`uqūl fī sharḥ akhbār al-rasūl. 2 vols. Beirut: Dar al-kutub al-`ilmiyya, 1404/1363Sh/1983.*
- Mir`āt al-`uqūl fī sharḥ akhbār al-rasūl. 26 vols. [Tehran: Bazar Sultani] 3rd printing, Beirut: Dar al-kutub al-`ilmiyya, 1411/1369-70Sh/1990-1991.*
- Mirat al-`uqūl fi sharh akhbar al-Rasul : sharh Kitab al-Kafi li-Thiqat al-Islam al-Kulayni, XX vols. Tehran: Dar al-kutub al-Islamiyya,1363/ 1984.
Hayat al-Qulub (The Life of the Hearts).
- Hayat al-Qulub. 3 vols. Lakhnaw: Nawalkishawr, 1883.
- Ḥayāt al-qulūb. 5 vols. Ed. Sayyid `Alī Imamiyān. Intishārāt Surūr, 1375-6 Sh/ 1997-8 *
- Hayat = Ḥayāt al‑qulūb. 5 vols. ed. Sayyid `Alī Imamiyyān. Intishārāt Surūr, 1375‑6 Sh/ 1997‑8. *
- Kitab-i mustatab-i Hayåt al-qulub. 3 vols. Tehran: Kitabfurush-i Islamiyya, 1952.
- See : http://www.al-islam.org/person/allamah-muhammad-baqir-al-majlisi.
Kitab `Ayn al-Hayat
- Kitab `Ayn al-Hayat Majlisi. ed, Muhammad Ḥasan `Ilmi Tehran: Amir Kabir, n.d. (680pp. ).*
- `Ayn al-Hayat (" The Wellspring of Life). Persian.
- `Ayn al-Hayat. Tehran: Dar al-khilåfah-i Tihran, 1861 (680pp. ).
- `Ayn al-Hayat. Tehran: Tab'-i Kitab, 1968. (606pp. ).
- Essence of Life, A translation of Ain al-Hayat by Allama Mohammad Baqir Majlisi. Trans. by Sayed Tahir Bilgrami. Ansarian Pub.: Qum. 1425/2005 (416pp.). *
- `Ayn al-Hayat. 2 vols. ed. Sayyid Hashim Milani, Tehran: Mu`assat al-Nashr al-Islami. 1416/ 1995 ( 550 +470pp. ).* Arabic translation.
- See http://www.al-islam.org/person/allamah-muhammad-baqir-al-majlisi
Ḥaqq al-Yaqīn (The Reality of Certitude).
- Haqq al-Yaqin. Tehran: Chapkhanah-i shirkat-i Sahami, 2 vols. in 1 1960. (658pp.)
- Haqq al-Yaqin.
- Haqq al-Yaqin.
Zad al-ma'ad (Knapsack for the Eschaton).
- Zad al-ma'ad Tehran: Kitab-firåushi-yi Islamiyya, 1968. Arabic text + Persian Commentary. (598pp.).
- Ḥilyat al-Muttaqīn fi'l-adab wa'l-sunan wa'l-Ikhlaq. Tehran: Mu`assah Intisharat Farhangi, *
- Ḥilyat al-Muttaqīn fi'l-adab wa'l-sunan wa'l-Ikhlaq. ed. Shaykh Khalil Rizq al-`Amili, Beirut: Dar al-Amīr, (726pp.). *
- Kitab al-Arba`īn. Qumm: al-Matba`ah al-`lmiyya, 1978.
- al-Farā'id al-Ṭarīfa fi Sharḥ al-Ṣaḥifah al-sharifiyya. ed. Sayyid Mihdi al-Raja'i. Isfahan: Maktabat al-`Allamah Majlisi / Qumm: Maktabat al-Khiyyam, 1407/ 1986 (434pp.). *
- Maladh al-akhyar fi fahm Tahdhib al-akhbar, 16 vols. Qumm: Maktabat Ayat Allah al-Mar`ashi, 1985.
- Majmu`ah-i rasa'il-i i`tiqadi, Mashad: Bunyad-i Pizhuhishha-yi Islåmi, 1989.
SECONDARY AND MISCELLANEOUS SOURCES
BEHĀR AL-ANWĀR (Oceans of light) by Mollā Mohammad-Bāqer b. Mohammad-Taqī Majlesī (d. 1110 or 1111/1699 or 1700), an encyclopedic compilation in Arabic of Imamite traditions (references are to the lithograph edition unless otherwise indicated). This project, which occupied Majlesī for most of his adult life, grew from a modest work known as Fehrest beḥār al-anwār or Fehres moṣannafāt al-asḥāb, which is essentially an early version of the Beḥār ; this work was published in 1070/1659, when Majlesī was thirty-two. It consists of a table of contents (corresponding roughly to that of the final version) and traditions taken from ten Imamite works, six of them by Ebn Bābūya (editor's note to the printed edition of the Beḥār CV, pp. 31f.; cf. al-Ḍarī`a XVI, p. 377, no. 1752). A few years later Majlesī embarked on a great expansion, involving practically the entire corpus of Imamite ḥadīḥ. In his introduction to the Beḥār , the author emphasizes the crucial religious significance of this corpus. He notes that much of it is little known, having been largely forgotten, either as a result of suppression by Sunni rulers or because Imamite scholars preferred later compilations to the early works. Majlesī (I, p. 5 = I, p. 6 of the printed ed.) describes his aim as providing the believers with the means to “humble the despicable heretics” (i.e., the Sunnis). This is to be achieved by collecting the available literature—including texts thought to be lost—and arranging its contents by subject matter...." (From art, Kohlberg`Behar al-anwar' in EIr. ).
Merrick, James Lyman
- The life and religion of Muhammad : Ḥiyat al-qulub (vol. 2). San Antonio, Tx, U.S.A : Zahra Trust, 1982 (483pp.).* "First published in 1850 by Phillips, Sampson and Company, Boston, USA" -xv, 483 pp. ("Vol. 2." only). *
- Talåmidhat al-`Allåmah al-Majlisi wa-al-majazun minhu, Qumm: Maktabat Ayat Allåh al-Mar`ashi al-`Ammah, 1990.
Mahdavi, Muslih al-Din
- Zindaginamah-i `Allamah Majlisi : taråikh-i `ilmi va ijtimå`i-i Isfahan dar qarn-i 11 Hijri : shamil-i mabahis-i ijtima`i, intiqadi, tarikhi, rijalåi, mazhabi. 2 vols. Isfahan : Husayniyya Imamzadah, 1981.
Die Theologische Enzyklopadie Biḥār al-anwār des Muhannad Baqir al-Majlisi (1037-1110 A.H.= 1627-1699 A.D...Ph.D. Bonn 1970.