Stephen Lambden UCMerced
Photographs of these alwāḥ (Tablets) of the Bāb in his own handwriting and sealed with his seal with the inscription,(= عَبْدُه الذِكْر `Abdu-hu al-Dhikr', `His Servant, the Remembrance' CHECK) are printed in Shoghi Effendi's re-creation ("translation" of Pt.I) of the Tarikh-i Zarandi , entitled The Dawn-Breakers (1st ed. 1932). The `Tablet to the First Letter of the Living' is translated in `Selections From he Writings of the Bab (Haifa: BWC., 1976 ), pp.9-10 and that to man yuẓhiru-hu Allāh (`Him whom God shall make manifest') understood by Baha'is to refer to Baha'-Allah on pp. XX. These Tablets do not appear to date from the earliest years of the Bab's six year prophetic mission (mid. 1844-mid.1850 CE), to the the time when he first dispatched the 'Letters of the Living' on their mission of proclamation... It is hoped to fully translate these texts once their original Arabic has been tentatively established. In this latter respect I am grateful for the direct and indirect help of Dr. Muhammad Afnan.
The `Letters of the Living' and their numerical order are here given as they are listed in Muhammad Nabil-i Zarandī [Shoghi Effendi], The Dawn-Breakers, though other sources offer alternative, names, identifications or order of `Letters of the Living' Scriptural alwāḥ (Tablets) of the Bāb to the Ḥurūfāt al-Ḥayy (`Letters of the Living').
TEXT AND TRANSLATIONS
Mullā Ḥusayn Bushrū'ī (d. [Ṭabarsī] 1265 /1849)
- Tablet to the First Letter of the Living, a devout Shaykhī entitled, Bāb al-Bāb (the Gate of the Gate), d. [Ṭabarsī] 1265 /1849) Trans. Taherzadeh, SWB: 9-10. PDf.
Muhammad Ḥasan Bushrū'ī
- Tablet to the Second Letter of the Living (brother of  above d. [Ṭabarsī] 1265 /1849). Lambden Trans. PDf.
Mullā Muhammad Bāqir (nephew of  d. [Ṭabarsī] 1265 /1849)
Tablet to the Third letter of the Living
Tablet to the Fourth Letter of the Living
Mullā `Alī Basṭamī (d. Istanbul c.1846?)
Mullā Khudā-Bakhsh Qūchānī ( d. xxxx)
- Tablet to the Fifth Letter of the Living also known as Mullā 'Alī Rāzī.
Tablet to the Sixth Letter of the Living
Mulla Ḥasan Bajistānī (d. XXXX)
Siyyid Ḥusayn Yazdī (d. 1852)
- Tablet to the Seventh Letter of the Living also known as `Azīz ("Mighty"), an amanuensis (kātib) of the Bāb.
Mīrzā Muhammad Rawdih-Khān Yazdī
- Tablet to the Eighth Letter of the Living, one invovled in the commemoration of the marytyrdom of Imam Husayn ( d. xxxx)
Shaykh Sa'īd [-i Hindī] al-Multānī
- Tablet to the Ninth Letter of the Living, an Indian Shaykhī (d. India,18XX)
Tablet to the Tenth Letter of the Living
Mullā Maḥūmud Khū'ī ( d. )
Tablet to the Eleventh Letter of the Living
Mulla Jalīl Urūmī ( d. [Ṭabarsī] 1265 /1849)
Tablet to the Twelfth Letter of the Living
Mullā Aḥmad Ibdāl Marāghī'ī ( d. [Ṭabarsī] 1265 /1849)
Tablet to the Thirteenth Letter of the Living
Mullā Muhammad Baqīr Tabrīzī ( d. Istanbul c. 1881)
Tablet to the Fourteenth Letter of the Living
Mullā Yūsif Ardibilī ( d. [Ṭabarsī] 1265 /1849)
Mīrzā Hādī ( d. [Ṭabarsī] 1265 /1849?)
- Tablet to the Fifteenth Letter of the Living son of the Mujtahid Ḥajjī Mīrzā `Abd al-Vahhāb Qazvīnī (brother of No. 16 above ).
Mīrzā Muhammad `Alī Qazvīnī ( d. [Ṭabarsī] 1265 /1849)
- Tablet to the Sixteenth Letter of the Living son of the Mujtahid Ḥajjī Mīrzā `Abd al-Vahhāb Qazvīnī (brother in law of Ṭāhirih and brother of  above)
Fāṭima Baraghānī = Umm Salama
- Tablet to the Seventeenth Letter of the Living the daughter of Muhammad Salih Baraghani = Ṭāhirih (The Pure One) = Qurrat al-`Ayn (The Solace of the Eye) ( d. 1852)
Mullā Muhammad `Alī Bārfurūshī, Quddūs ("The Most Holy")
- Tablet to the Eighteenth Letter of the Living ( d. Bārfurūsh, 23rd Jamād II 1265/ May 16th,1849)
Sayyid `Ali Muhammad Shirazi, the Bāb.
- Tablet to the Nineteenth Letter of the Living , apparently the Bāb Himself (d. 1850)
Mirza Ḥusayn `Alī Nūrī, Bahā'-Allāh
- Tablets to the Twentieth Letter of the Living, man yuẓhiru-hu-Allāh, The messianic figure "Him whom God shall make manifest", for Bahā'īs Baha'-Allah ( b. Tehran1817- d. Acre, Palestine 1892).